Daughters of Charity, Province of the West changed to The Province of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Daughters of Charity, Province of the West changed to The Province of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton

Daughters of Charity, Province of the West changed to The Province of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton

January 8, 2019

On this day, January 4, 2019, the Daughters of Charity, Province of the West will officially be changed to "The Province of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton".

The Daughters of Charity were founded in 1633 by St. Vincent de Paul and St. Louise de Marillac in Paris to serve Jesus Christ in persons who are poor. As membership grew, new provinces were formed as needed. Today the Daughters of Charity are in 93 countries with 51 provinces. There are approximately 14,500 Sisters worldwide.

In 1809 Elizabeth Ann Seton founded the Sisters of Charity in Baltimore based on the Rule of St. Vincent de Paul. In 1850 some of her community merged with the French Daughters of Charity and a USA Province was established in Emmitsburg, MD. In 1852 six Daughters of Charity set out for California to establish the first work in California. By 1910 a second Province was headquartered in St. Louis, MO. The works in California were then administered by this new Province.

As the numbers of Daughters of Charity increased it was necessary to divide the two provinces into five so on January 4, 1969 the Province of the West, headquartered in Los Altos Hills was created along with four other provinces in the United States. Internationally the Provinces of the Daughters of Charity are usually identified by a community saint. Today we are changing the name of the Province of the West to align with other Province identities and to honor the special American heritage of our US foundation.

< BACK TO NEWS