Service Spotlight:League Member & Co-Chair, Service, Elyn Brennan
January 9, 2015
1. When did your interest in service come about? I have done volunteer work throughout my life. Volunteering was just something that my family did as I was growing up.
2. Favorite memory, either with the League or Epiphany Center? I think the celebrations with the clients are my favorite memories. I especially enjoy the annual Mother’s Day event honoring the women and children.
3. What have you learned during your time working with Epiphany Center? The one thing I have learned is how appreciative the clients are. They truly feel so grateful for our help. I see how important it is for all of us to give back to our community.
4. Of the five major Vincentian Values of Respect, Compassionate Service, Simplicity, Advocacy for the Poor, and Creativity, which one is your favorite to practice and why? I love practicing creativity, however it manifests. (Elyn is a very talented interior designer who volunteered her services to design a warm, welcoming environment for Epiphany’s Residential Extension area.) One of my favorite Epiphany memories is painting the faces of the clients’ children at an event.
5. What do you enjoy most about volunteering here in the city of San Francisco? San Francisco has become a very expensive place to live, but there are many people who need our help, and I like being of service.
6. Favorite spot in SF? The San Francisco Giants’ AT&T Park
7. Where were you born? Newton, New Jersey
The purpose of the Epiphany League is to raise funds to ensure holistic care for the most vulnerable women, children, and families in San Francisco, to directly benefit clients through service projects, and to broaden community awareness of Epiphany Center.
Are you interested in joining the Epiphany League? Please contact Mary Rhoades at firstname.lastname@example.org.