Meet New Epiphany League Member, Maggie Dobbins
May 15, 2015
1. When did your interest in service come about? I learned as a child from my family that we all have an obligation to help others in any way that we can. I learned that joining service organizations is important, as is being kind to others in all of your interactions.
2. How did you decide to choose to volunteer your time on behalf of Epiphany Center? Brenda MacLean (who has been involved with Epiphany for years) spoke about the work being done here and women’s and children's issues are of particular interest to me.
3. Favorite memory working with the League so far? I just joined in January and was able to attend the graduation ceremony almost immediately. That was such an incredibly moving event and certainly cemented my commitment to the Epiphany Center!
4. What have you learned during your time working with Epiphany Center? I’ve learned that a small group of women determined to help other women, can make a big difference.
5. What or who inspires you? My niece Elizabeth inspires me! She is developmental delayed and life can be very challenging….but she finds joy in everyday little things and has the most wonderful laugh and smile! She used to compete in Special Olympics, and now I am a volunteer there and am inspired by the athletes’ drive to compete and have fun!
6. Of the five major Vincentian Values of Respect, Compassionate Service, Simplicity, Advocacy for the Poor, and Creativity, which one is your favorite to practice and why? Simplicity. I believe life is basically simple. In spite all of its vast complexities, the most important things in life are the basics, primarily love and kindness to all.
7. What do you enjoy most about volunteering here in the city of San Francisco? It has been a great way to meet and work beside a terrific group of people!
The purpose of the Epiphany League is to raise funds to ensure holistic care for the most vulnerable women, children, and families in San Francisco, to directly benefit clients through service projects, and to broaden community awareness of Epiphany Center.
Are you interested in joining the Epiphany League? Please contact Mary Rhoades at firstname.lastname@example.org.